Home to 170 lakes and rivers and miles of biking trails, Lake County, Illinois is located halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee. Among the list of top 10 attractions in Lake County IL are family-friendly destinations such as the Lake County Discovery Museum, Six Flags Great America, the Volvo Auto Museum and the KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort. No matter what time of the year it is, there are plenty of family fun activities as well as exciting day trips for retirees.
1. Chicago Botanic Garden: Located in Glencoe, The Chicago Botanic Garden with 385 acres boasts world-renowned plant collections and displays. The Botanic Garden, 1000 Lake Cook Road, is one of the most-visited public gardens with bird watching and a Model Railroad garden.
2. Six Flags Great America: Six Flags Great America, 1 Great America Pkwy., Gurnee, IL, is a major theme park that first opened in 1976. It features more than 100 rides and a myriad of roller coasters for every thrill seeker.
3. Volvo Auto Museum: Located at 27582 Volo Village Rd, Volo, IL, the Volvo Auto Museum is in a Chicago suburb. The collector car and automobile museum was established in 1960. Auto buffs may love looking at more than 300 classic, antique, muscle and Hollywood cars on display and for sale.
4. KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort: Located at 1700 Nations Dr, Gurnee, IL, the waterpark resort is near Great America for people who want to enjoy a long weekend. Popular for birthdays, the waterpark has wild rides and tame rides for younger children who want to make a splash.
5. Lambs Farm: Located at 14245 W Rockland Rd, Libertyville, Lambs Farm is a non-profit organization that gives people with disabilities the chance to lead productive lives. What started as a small pet shop is now a 72-acre campus for men and women to work, live and grow. It’s also home to many gift and craft fairs and special events.
6. Lake County Discovery Museum: The museum, 27277 N. Forest Preserve Rd, Wauconda, IL, is a public educational institution devoted to preserving history. Activities include hands-on interactive exhibitions to introduce the history and culture of Lake County, Illinois. Each year the museum presents several special exhibitions.
7. Adler Park: Located in Libertyville, Adler Park is the perfect place for running, hiking, biking and family recreational activities. Some of the highlights include a swimming pool, trails, playground, picnic area, frisbee golf and a flower garden.
8. Great Lakes Naval Museum: The Great Lakes Naval Museum is operated by the Naval History & Heritage Command. Located at 610 Farragut Avenue Great Lakes IL, admission and parking is free. The museum hosts various concerts, events and tours for the public.
9. Loon Lake: Loon Lake is a glacial lake found in northern Lake County, Illinois. Located near the town of Antioch, it is home to many different species of fish, reptiles and birds including some endangered species. It is near the intersection of Route 83 and Grass Lake Rd. There is a campground located on the south shores of Loon Lake.
10. The Marriott Theatre: Located in Lincolnshire, Illinois, the Marriott Theatre is a respected Chicago area regional theatre that creates professional productions. It’s located at 10 Marriott Dr,, Lincolnshire, IL. Known for performances in an intimate setting, the shows include everything from “Wizard of OZ,” “La Cage aux Folles,” to “The King and I.”
Sheryl Allen provides one-stop real estate services in all of Lake County, Illinois and surrounding areas. For more information on the top 10 attractions in Lake County IL or if you have suggestions to add to the list, please contact me.